Monday, December 17, 2018

Back to basics

If you read this blog, you can likely ascertain my dislike for 5E. Granted it has some really good things, I love the character options and ability for my players to customize their characters with nifty mechanical customizations. What's really being lost though is the true development of the character themselves from a role play perspective. Hell, they even have mechanics for background now, though I've always felt that background should emerge through play anyways. And lord, don't even get me started on Pathfinder....I get it, some of the newer players love all of this crunch and cool character "abilities". The more I play though, the more that the B/X or BECMI versions of the game call my name for how much better they run dungeons for example.

I like to see my players engaged and putting thought into their actions, the more you hand over to a roll of the dice, the less fun and risk is being applied to the game. If you have not given it a try, there a ton of great retro-clones of the old rules out there these days. You can even get a POD version of the epic D&D rules cyclopedia...seriously, go give it a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent posts.

My favorite D&D media