Wednesday, September 18, 2019

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ?!?! GenCon and RPG play updates

Long break from posting on the blog, but back to add some more and catch up the reader as to what I've been up to and playing the past few months. I say this like you care....but here goes.

Firstly, I went to my first GenCon in August with several people from my tabletop group. It was an amazing, albeit expensive trip (mostly from all of the cool new games I purchased there, look for some reviews). The crowds were insane and I was amazed at the scope and scale of the convention area itself. Several blocks in square footage all dedicated to gaming. The vendor hall was incredible as well, I had the best time just walking booth to booth, doing demo's, talking to the publishers, and just seeing all of the new amazing product offerings there. It is honestly hard to take it all in for those who have never been. 

I managed to do several events there as well....True Dungeon, The Starfinder Society year finally scenario (despite my hatred of Pathfinder this was actually a pretty cool experience), and a couple of one-shot games. I wish there were more hours in the day, but if you have never been, I recommend doing it once if you're into the hobby. Definitely a bucket list item checked off for me.

My tabletop group finished up our run of the Dragon Heist campaign in 5E. Going to be honest, I could not wait to finish this one. Definitely not a fan of that adventure, but my players had a pretty good time with it. The players in my group were pretty cut-throat in this one in regards to the type of PC they were playing, this made it fun as I added a few twist to account for others in the city you wanted a stake to the hidden gold, eventually ending the campaign with a bit of a rift within the party in regards to doing the right or wrong thing. It was actually a pretty good conclusion to the adventure, but it took some work to get there. Good job to my players on this one!

I needed a break from the typical fantasy archetype and really I just needed a break from 5E...still not a fan.....so in the past couple of months I started a campaign of Call of Cthulhu. Currently I'm taking my group through the first part of Masks of Nyarlathotep, though they have not figured this out yet. The CoC roleplaying game is a fantastic one, it is much simplistic and needs to a much better role playing experience overall. Some of the players in my group were a bit hesitant to start, but all are now pretty invested in their characters and the story at large. Masks is a tremendous campaign and definitely worthy of the high praise it has gotten over the years...not sure if we'll finish or not, but definitely look for an upcoming review soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent posts.

My favorite D&D media