Thursday, December 6, 2018

DM advice: let the players make the story

Confession time...when I came back to the hobby about 10 years ago there was something I struggled with as a DM. I was guilty of being too heavy-handed with my story, my campaign....and I think this is something that not only myself, but others can relate to or have dealt with. 

This campaign, this fantastic world I had envisioned and worked tirelessly to create...full of cool, dangerous and exotic locations and people....You just want the players to see it all, know the story you've created, I get it. I wanted the same. But, don't do it...let the players chase after that wacky detail that you totally do not have prepared, let them kill off your finely crafted NPC (the one that guides them to the next part of the journey), let the story be theirs. 

This takes a bit of restraint and definitely the ability to improve and wing-it, but it is so worth it. In the end this will make the story that much better and rewarding for the players, as I ran my group through my Shadowvale campaign, this was something I definitely struggled with and at times there was a bit of removal of player agency, which to me in the cardinal sin of the dungeon master. 

But the more I've DM'd since my return, the more I've been able to let go and just let my players play in the world as they see fit. Jeff Reints blog and his recent book, Broodmother Skyfortress, have really helped to sharpen my skills in this approach. Don't be afraid to blow up and wreck your world! 

Inspiration for this blog from the following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJPqB7DH94c&t=71s

Go check it out and support a great channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent posts.

My favorite D&D media