Tuesday, January 23, 2018

I love Megadungeons!

Since I first laid my hands the Ruins of Undermountain boxed set when I was a kid, I've had this love affair with megadungeons. This has never really been a featured product from the likes of WoTC, but man the OSR has some great ones. ASE, Maze of the Blue Medusa, Stonehell, Barrowmaze, the list keeps going.
Hours of fun?

The new school of roleplaying shuns these a bit as story gaming has taken root, but I really think there is a great appeal in these products. So, what makes for a great megadungeon? Factions, uniqueness, high danger and rich rewards, alien and abnormal environments. Can I actually run an entire campaign using a megadungeon? Hell yes you can! Some of the best megadungeons have tons of creatures, npc's, items to mess with, adventure hooks, and central themes to resolve. With all of this, you and your group can still build and tell an amazing story of adventure and isn't what D&D is about at its core?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent posts.

My favorite D&D media