Monday, January 8, 2018

Blood in the Chocolate: Review and thoughts

Recently I had the pleasure of the running my group through a one of shot of Blood in the Chocolate by Kiel Chenier from Lamentations of the Flame Princess. This adventure was the 2017 Ennie Award winning "Best Adventure". I converted this for use with D&D 5E since my group of players was most familiar with that system. This is adventure is a spin of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" for the LotFP setting.

Our session was great, I had blast refereeing this one and the players felt the same, even though were some lamenting over a few of the poison effects, but those really helped to make the game dynamic and enjoyable. Right off the bat the random tables on the chocolate tasting effects hit my players as the group of Frenchmen that had hired them for this expedition let them sample a bit of the chocolate, I knew tonight was going to be fun.

The initial struggles my group had were with gaining access to the factory. Looking back, if I were to do another one-shot, I'd just start them inside the factory. My group actually experienced an almost TPK as they smuggled themselves in via the loading docks using a distraction from another member near the guardhouse. Also, two of the members were hit immediately with the Noxious Berry Curse during this encounter.



The fun, at least for the referee, in this adventure is watching as the group scrambles to "cure" and deal with these poisons as they are encountered through play. As my two players began to swell up with blueberry juice, they were trying everything, including have the other party members stab and slice them to drain them of juice, of course taking damage while doing so. This is A+stuff! 

The deeper the group moved into the factory, the more reluctant they were to touch or mess with anything. Mr. Chenier did a phenomenal job with this adventure, this was true horror in an almost comedic way and it wasn't mechanically forced upon the players. The group eventually encountered the villain of this module, Lucia De Castillio. She is not some magical beast or demon, she is just a shrewd-sexy and evil business woman. Ultimately, my group survived and took access to the factory, though some of the characters were forever changed by their experiences there.

Things that I loved about this book and adventure. The book layout is again fantastic from LotFP. Maps and tables on the inside covers (take note WoTC), great character building for Lucia, keyed locations in the book also include the portion the map they represent! LotFP has the absolute best quality of books and it's not even close. The poison effects are all horrifying and awesome! Anytime my group stumbled a check I was on pins and needles for what random effect they would now be dealing with, seriously this makes play of this adventure so good. Lucia is also a great villain, it's nice to see an non-typical and powerful woman for a change.

This is a perfect one-shot adventure for any group, seriously go find a copy and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent posts.

My favorite D&D media