Thursday, December 12, 2019

Old-School Essentials, Review

I recently was fortunate enough to receive my copy of Old-School Essentials, from Necrotic Gnome (Gavin Norman). My copy was the compiled rule set in the A5 Rules Tome combining the core rules, player options, spells, monsters and treasures into one fantastic tome. The book is amazing quality, hardback, smith sewn binding, with ribbon markers included. End papers contain charts for each of use at the table, this is definitely a theme of this rule set and book...so easy to use!

Old-School Essentials is a rework of the B/X essentials released in 2018 which is in itself a rewrite of the B/X (1981 Moldvay and Cook) D&D rule set. The rework is done to perfection making the rule concise and easy to digest. I was able to sit down this past Saturday and read through the entire Tome in an evening. The only thing I can maybe think to have been added for newer players was an example of play or even an intro adventure / dungeon, but I feel like this book was intended for those like myself already familiar with the rule set and looking for a clean and easy to use rule tome at the table as opposed to dragging out my old box set or using one of the available retro-clones such as Labyrinth Lord.

The editing and layout of this book are again just absolutely amazing, this beats anything I have seen from a 3rd party publisher and the quality and art in this book puts even the big dogs like WoTC to shame. I even noticed a few easter egg tributes in the art to some of the original TSR material...I'm looking at you goblin....

I was so impressed with this Tome that I had to go back and buy the book set which splits at the separate sections into individual books that I can envision being passed around the table for reference while another player uses a separate book in regards to their specific character need. Really...this is my favorite release of the year and will be my go to OSR rule set going forward without question. A+ work here and I can't wait to see what else releases from Necrotic Gnome in the future.

If you're looking for a copy, go here and get it while you can:  https://necroticgnome.com/collections/old-school-essentials

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent posts.

My favorite D&D media